Monday, August 31, 2009

My Talk

So yesterday i gave a talk on Gratitude. I think i did a pretty good job. I had a lot of nice job's afterwards too.

Here is my talk for anyone who wishes to read it..

My talk this afternoon is on the topic Gratitude. The Strength of Youth pamphlet says The Lord wants us to have a spirit of gratitude in all we do and say. If we live with a spirit of gratitude we will have greater happiness in life, even in the most difficult times. Also in our prayers, before we ask for blessings, pour out your heart to God in thanks for all the blessings you have already received. Thank him for your family, for friends and loved ones, for leaders and teachers, for the gospel, and for his Son Jesus Christ.

When I read this early last week, I felt like I needed to thank my Heavenly Father more than I regularly do. The next time I prayed I thanked the Lord for about every blessing I could think of. I noticed that the Spirit was with me more strongly than normal. My day went smoothly and I felt the Spirit quite often and I was happy. At the end of that day I reflected on how I thanked the Lord for everything I had and how my day had turned out. I thought of how I feel when I do something nice for someone else and they greatly appreciate it and tell me thank you and how that it makes me feel good and want to serve that person again. Then I thought how the Lord might feel when his children thank him for all he does. I think it makes the Lord happy to see that his children care for what he does and makes the Lord want to bless them even more.

In the November 2008 Ensign, President Monson said, “Of course, there is no going back, but only forward. Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future.” This quote from our prophet has helped me so much. Whenever I am feeling alone or depressed I read this and it always gives me the strength to stop thinking of all the bad things that have happened in my life, and instead, as President Monson said, provide pleasant memories for the future.

A way we can create these happy memories is by showing thanks to our friends and family for all they do for us and as well, thanking our Heavenly Father for the things he does.

I know that Gratitude is something we all should have. When we try to see the blessings in our lives instead of the bad things, it helps us become more cheerful and more grateful for the blessings we have already received. All of us are going to have trials in life and have those rough days. When these come into our lives, we should try to find something to be grateful for. For example, I am grateful for the friends that I have, and for my cute little kitty, and for my wonderful parents and grand-parents, and for my education, my home and even my brothers and sisters. Having this grateful attitude will push us through the troubles we have and help us overcome them easier.

AMEN

2 comments:

Richard said...

That is a great talk Jon. I have been feeling rather down this past week and you have shared some great ideas on how to overcome that!Thanks!

Chelley said...

You did a great job! Love you, kid!